Extra large planters are containers designed to hold large outdoor planters with spacious roots, for example, focus plants. Most have a tasty finish and seamlessly incorporate into your existing indoor and outdoor décor.
Some even come with an easy-to-lift liner to simplify planting. If you plan to grow some plants with large root balls, you will need extra large planters outside. I’m talking about plants such as dwarf figs, citrus, and lemon trees.
These have more giant roots and will require a large pot- or any container that can accommodate their expansive roots and leave some growing space. Anything less may fill up before the plant has reached the transplanting stage, spelling doom for your efforts.
Where To Buy Extra Large Outdoor Planters?
Several websites currently stock several containers, including extra large plastic planters. Amazon has a wide variety, while you will also find a sizeable collection on eBay. Alibaba and individual manufacturer websites are the other options. If you prefer buying offline, some garden supplies shops have them. In our case, we camped on Amazon and cherry-picked some of the best commercial outdoor planters large. Here is a brief look into some of these extra large garden pots for the outdoors.
Recommended Budget-Friendly Extra Large Planters For Outdoors
- Corten Steel Long Box PlanterThe biggest news here is the insulation which helps to protect your plant roots during punishing winter and steaming summer months. It's welded using top-grade and thick corten steel, so it is a very durable product. It has a furniture quality finishing and should blend seamlessly with your furnishings. Lastly, it survives frost and cracks, making it a better option for growers in colder climates
- Swan XL Planters (Set Of 3)Measuring 15 long x 8 wide x 16 high, these beautiful extra large planters are big enough to accommodate most of the biggest flowers and plants. These are made using strongly molded polyethylene and have nicely curved necks, colored beaks, and eyes on top of detailed feathers. They arrive in mint condition and are very light
- 12″ Grey Unbreakable Large Outdoor PlanterMade from unbreakable resin clay, these flower pots create a natural environment for your plants to thrive. They are porous and allow the roots to devour compost while breathing. Chances of overwatering are also very minimal with this setup. They come predominantly in a natural-looking pale grey.
- Nice Trough Planter 20″ x 46″ x 20″Corten SteelStill made from high-grade corten steel material, this trough planter has a well thought out design and is fairly large. It looks sleek and unique, ensuring that your lawn will look extremely appealing. Even though you have to assemble it, it's very easy to set up. And it comes complete with useful drainage holes.
- Poly-Resin Extra Large Planter, MonzoniteThis model of extra-large lightweight planters is one of the largest- it's deep, very wide, and leaves lots of free space for your plants to expand. Its drainage plug is designed innovatively and is simple to unplug when a need arises. It has a nice granite finishing and shines its beauty all over your home, garden, patio, or balcony.
- Suncast Herring XL Planter, 18-InchesThis stands out prominently and complements a large number of decors. Not many plants will have their root balls exceeding 18-inches, and it should, therefore, be a perfect home for every one of your large plants. Thick walls ensure that they won't break during transit. And it comes at a good price despite its size and quality.
- Round Glazetone Planter, 16-Inch, EmberglowThe rubber feet on the bottom help prevent molding and staining on this round planting pot outside. Then the removable drain plug makes it easy to drain and protect your plant roots from rotting. Further, it's made from heavy-duty steel and should survive in all environments regardless of the prevailing weather conditions. I also noted that it's hand-painted and looks stylish.
- 14.2-inches Garden Unbreakable Resin PlanterCompared with plastic planters, resin planters are more robust and offer long service life. The manufacturer of this large pot offers a 5-year non-breaking guarantee. Apart from that, it's UV resistant and also frost resistant, so you can leave it outside even when it's freezing. Its natural porosity enables your plants to breathe while ensuring they will never be flooded.
- Round Moonstone Planter, 14-Inch, TealThe round moonstone planter has rubber feet which makes it very stable. It also allows airflow meaning it rarely molds. The removable drain plug helps to prevent rotting of roots and over-watering. Then, it's one of the few large planters made of steel. It thus survives all weather conditions unscathed while guaranteeing many years of service. You can use it indoors or outdoors for large flowers, vegetables, and a variety of crops.
- 20-inches Poly-Resin Large Planter, Granite BrownThe one thing I like about planters with traditional styling is that they work with all decors, and this is no different. It adopts the color of cool earth-tones and beds in well with various furnishings. Importantly, it is made from durable resin and thus withstands the vagaries of outdoor seasonal elements. At 20 inches, this is huge for the plants which need growing space.
- Honeysuckle 15″ Patio Pot Fossil StoneThis planter looks like ceramic or an ancient stone. It's also lightweight and very durable, thanks to its high-density resin construction. Versatile for both Indoors and outdoors, it's weather-resistant and has a UV-coated finishing which protects its color from fading. Though it's delivered without drainage, you can easily drill drainage holes on the bottom of the need arises.
- Suncast 1606NP36 Resin Planter, Blue/BrownThis suncast container can hold a full 8.35 gal of water thus reducing the frequency of watering. It's – as with all sun cast containers- a beautiful pot and perfectly complements your existing decorations. It's much lighter, and being a resin planter, its long-term durability is assured. It has a diameter of 16-inches.
- Whiskey Barrel Planter, 20.5″, Distressed OakThis is no doubt an outstanding planter. As big as classic whiskey barrel planters, it looks fantastic with its distressed oak finishing and will surely accentuate your garden. It's UV protected, and its colors rarely fade. Also, it's lightweight and comes with drainage holes to make your work easier. And its high-density resin construction is very, very durable.
- Nantucket Super-Tall Patio Planter, EspressoThere are two things I like about this: First, this is super tall- and also wide. Its dimensions of 32H x 15.5W x 15.5D are rare for planters in this category and are excellent with plants that tend to shoot up first. Secondly, I love its self-watering tray. Once inserted, it creates a functional sub-irrigation water system reducing your watering responsibilities while ensuring that the growing roots enjoy nourished growth. It's made with the highest grade polyethylene and should offer long-lasting service. Finally, despite its enhanced dimensions, this large rectangular planters outdoor is very light.
- Mayne Fairfield 20-Inch Patio Planter, BlackThis rectangular planter has a unique built-in water reservoir making your watering work easier. The self-watering effect also encourages healthy growth in your plants as they're practically watering themselves whenever thirst strikes. It looks appealing in its natural black and introduces a charming look to your patio or deck. And at 20″L x 20″W x 20″H, this is quite big.
- Rectangular Flower Planter, Black NickelA stainless steel rectangular potter, this introduces a timeless, luxurious appeal to your garden thanks to its black nickel finish. It comes with a customized rectangular drainage dish that helps you to drain excess water. Whichever way you want to use it, this will always work. For instance, it looks awesome as a herbs planter on your windowsill, a flower pot, or even with dwarf trees.
- Tall Antique Copper Planter(With a Planting Insert)Still, from H Potter, this is a very tall planter- it measures 33 inches (high)x 15 inches (wide). It also comes with an 11-inches metallic liner insert which helps lift the bottom a bit, especially when dealing with plants that don't need a deep bed. Impressively, the insert has draining holes, so overwatering will never be a bother even with it. More drainage openings are found on the base. It's hand-crafted and has a striking clear lacquer finishing. It will thus adorn your spaces with rich looks.
What To Look For When Buying Extra Large Outdoor Planters?
As you have seen, you’re spoilt for choice when we come to extra large planters for trees. However, to find the perfect extra large planter for your task, you need to be aware of a few things:
Even though they’re all large, some are bigger than others. You will want to pick the planter to satisfy your plant’s requirements both in width and height.
It should provide an opening or at least a way of draining off excess water. Some allow you to punch drainage holes, while others have an integrated drainage plug.
Planters with a contemporary design look great with indoor/outdoor decor. Some models accentuate your patio space.
Lightweight containers are easier to move- remember you may want to move your plants indoors when the weather conditions become extreme.
Large commercial fiberglass planters are not only super well made. They are also fade-resistant, water-proof, corrosion-proof, and insect resistant.
Planters for the lawn are a fantastic idea for cultivating plants with small roots. If you want to introduce plants with small roots to your yard, then large outdoor planters will serve you well. These are bigger, more resilient, and mostly match your current décor. And so your plants will blossom and bring forth stunning results. We wish you all the best in your selection!
Our Curated Recommendations on Amazon: