Lawn mowing is a technique that experts have mastered through practice. However, the best Lawn Mower For Hills makes the work easy for every person, even amateurs!
While hilly and winding lawns are a sight to behold, maintaining them comes at a cost.
Most ordinary lawn mowers are poor climbers and unsafe, especially in highly hilly landscapes (they commonly roll over). At least that’s how it has been until the best mower for hills came around.
Sure. Lawnmowers have been around since 1830, when Edwin Budding gave us his famous grass cutter.
But despite various attempts, mowing steep hills has been one big puzzle for many lawn owners -until recently-.
And the reason is simple: By design, mowing equipment tends to roll downhill, meaning the operator has to manage its force or be overpowered and wait for the worst.
What Are Lawn Mower For Hills?
Unlike all other grass trimmers, the best zero-turn hill lawn mower for steep hills is purposely built to tackle hilly and uneven trains safely and efficiently.
You will notice several enhancements:
- Better traction- hence their exemplary climbing skills.
- Reinforced downhill braking -operators can slow, stop, and even reverse on hills.
- Lower center of gravity-hence their distinguished stability on slopes
Benefits of Using Mowers for Steep Hills
So, how does a good mower for steep hills help your lawn’s terrain?
Some of their distinct advantages are:
1. Superior Stability – Most commercial mowers for hills have a low center of gravity. This significantly reduces their risk of tipping. Many also have 4-wheel-drive and broader tires for traction on all types of lawns.
2. Ease of Steering and Movement – Since their rear deck follows the front axle, they turn quickly and more sharply.
3. Reduced Exposure to Gas Fumes – With some of the best mowers for the hillside being battery-driven, gas fumes don’t waft towards you, so you’ll enjoy clean, healthy air.
4. Multiple Methods to Handle Clippings – Most offer attachments, including baggers, mulchers, and adjustable-height blades.
Also, some have up to 9 blade height settings so they can cut any lawn vegetation.
Our Recommended & Best Lawn Mowers for Steep Hills
From our experience and extensive research on the highest rated type of mower for steep hills, we feel that these are the top dogs as far as lawn mowers for cutting through the hills are concerned:
- Honda 3-in-1 Variable Speed Self-Propelled Gas Steep Hill MowerWith the fast accelerating smart drive, micro-cutting twin blades, easy starting GCV160 engine, auto choke, 2-position handle, and the 6-position cutting height adjustments, this comes equipped to conquer even the indomitable terrains. It uses less gas compared to competing lawn mowers for hills and slopes. And the variable speed can speed up your cutting at full speed, this beast dashes across yards. It starts with just one pull, and the deck does an amazing job mowing across winding terrain. And your comfort and safety matter to it- you can tell this from the foam grip handles and the Zone Start Safety System, which automatically shuts the engine if you lose control of your mower. More to this, its EPA and CARB Compliant, meaning authorities have approved it as eco-friendly. Finally, you will enjoy exercising as you walk behind it, and it is very easy to control. It does the job while helping you better your health. What a bonus!
- Troy-Bilt TB330 163cc 21-inch 3-in-1 Self-Propelled LawnmowerSelf-propelled mowers are by far safer and easier to work within hilly grounds. The Troy-Bilt 3-in-1 is by a distance one of the highest-rated self-propelled mowers for steep hills. It has the oomph to maneuver the toughest hills- thanks to the powerful 163cc Briggs & Stratton engine. And it is up there when we come to the performance, thanks to its unique TriAction cutting system, which consistently delivers a clean job. Speed-wise, you have four flexible top speed settings to help you personalize it for your comfort and ease of control. It is a 3-in-1, meaning you can mulch, bag, or use the side-discharge to get the results you crave on uneven grounds. And with its impressive collection of friendly height and cutting controls, it could be the perfect answer to the question of how to mow a steep hill with a riding mower?
- Snapper XD 21-Inch 82V Cordless Self Propelled Lawn Walk MowerCordless mowers have some unique advantages- zero emissions, zero noise, and zero expenses on gasoline. If you're a fan of cordless tools, then it's hard not to notice this. Powered by 2 long-lasting batteries (brush-less motor technology), the snapper XD cordless 21-inch self-propelling walk ower will mow with power and reliability for many years, and since it uses brush-less motors, it will need very little maintenance. Impressively, it will cut for up to 45-minutes without requiring a recharge, meaning it mows up to a ½ acre on one charge! Its 21-inch deck adjusts up to 7 height positions until you get a comfortable position to mulch, bag or even side chute grass clippings easily. Even better, its smart load sensing technology enables it to automatically adjust the cutting speed and efficiency of the cutting blades as it goes through changing terrain. Plus, it features an easy push-button so starting it is a breeze. In a nutshell, this is a formidable cordless self-propelled walk lawnmower
- Honda 187cc Gas 21 in. 4-in-1 Versamow System Lawn MowerIts innovative Versamow System allows it to mulch, discharge, bag, and shred leaves (it's a 4-in-1) so you will not have to spend on additional tools or expensive attachments. The convenient Clip control knob allows you to easily set it to your preferred function. With two fito, set it to your preferred function easily through thick grass like a hot knife through butter, saving your time and energy. Then, it has four cutting surfaces resulting in ultra-fine clippings. The 187cc engine and its rear-wheel-drive make this mower an extremely good climber. And the craziest bit: this mower uses very little fuel! The bag is so huge so will cut a large swathe without needing to empty the clippings. Considering all these, you can understand why it has always been nominated as among the top-rated self-propelled mower for steep hills.
- Husqvarna 22-Inch AWD 2-in-1 Variable Speed Lawn Mower with Kohler 675 EngineSince all wheels are firmly on the ground, all-wheel-drive lawn mowers have better traction in slope and hilly yards. They are also more balanced now that power is evenly distributed across all four wheels. This design makes mowing simpler even in extreme conditions. Now, among all Husqvarna mowers, this 22-inch 2-in-1 has one of the most resilient all-wheel-drive systems. It has been no wonder drawing raving reviews for its ability to expertly handle steep hills, tough grass, and rough terrain. In addition to its robust all-wheel-drive system, it has an enhanced steel deck and a powerful Kohler 675 Series149cc engine. The deck is also notable because it cuts 22-inch wide, meaning you finish the job pretty soon. Finally, its bag has a natural grip handle and is easy to remove.
- Snapper HI-VAC 190cc Drive 3-N-1 Variable Speed (Rear Wheel) Self-Propelled Lawn MowerHighly rated by bagging fans, this self-propelled hill lawn mower relies on a vacuum-like suction to efficiently cut and bag your grass. Its high tech Hi-VAC mowing deck has a unique blade plus a high-tech deck edge and is able to generate the volume of air needed to create the required suction. Thus, in addition to efficient bagging, your grass ends up with an ultra-clean finish. It also features a well-constructed rear-wheel drive and the user enjoys superior traction on thick grass and hills. It's powered by the 190cc Briggs & Stratton OHV engine – popular for its reliability and stability. The other notable features include the ready start technology which guarantees easy starts and quiet runs. You also have up to 7 height-of-cut adjustments for a comfortable operation.
- Honda 21-inch Side Discharge Gas Self-Propelled Lawnmower – HRS216SKAWhen storage space is at a premium, you'll need a lawnmower which is designed with space economy in mind. And this Honda 21-inch gas self-propelled lawnmower has an easy quick-release handle which folds easily, making it fit for users with smaller storage spaces. In terms of performance, its premium Honda residential GCV160 engine starts easily (no choke required!) and is super powerful. Then, you will easily adjust this mower's speed (from 0 to 4 miles per hour) to match your stride by simply rotating the controls. At the same time, you have a choice of 6 different deck height positions and shifting is easy. And it's not just easy to operate. It also goes strong on maneuverability. It weighs only 71 lbs. and has trodden 8″ wheels (with smooth rear ball bearings), giving it remarkable maneuverability. Finally, the mulch and side discharge work as expected.
- Ryobi. 20″ 40-Volt Lithium-Ion Battery Brushless Self-Propelled Cordless Lawn MowerThis cordless hill lawn mower comes with an improved rear-wheel drive system and provides great traction especially when powering uphill. It also mows in straight lines so you end up with pristine grass. And just like the Snapper XD 21-Inch Cordless Self-Propelled Lawn Walk Mower, it also has load-sensing technology so it ensures that the deck receives the power it needs to sustain cutting speed at optimum. Again, when on a full charge, its 5.0Ah 40-Volt Lithium battery will allow you to mow for longer without the inconveniences of having to recharge. The 20-inch deck is designed to allow both mulching and bagging options depending on your requirements. Then, it's so easy it can be operated by almost anyone. It starts easily; its 7-point cutting height adjusts easily, and also has adjustable telescopic handles. You can, therefore, set the height that maximizes your comfort while reducing fatigue.
- Worth Garden Heavy-Duty Lawn Mower for Uneven TerrainCan you imagine a cordless lawn mower packing the same power as a 160cc. gas engine? That's how powerful this worthy garden heavy-duty lawnmower is. It also boasts of the smart cut load sensing technology that automatically adjusts the height of the blade depending on the thickness and density of the grass. So, with these 2 top qualities, this muscular self-propelled lawnmower is able to cut majestically through heavy weeds and thick grass. Most importantly, it cuts neatly over around tree stumps. The design of its swivel wheels allow it easily navigate around trees, bushes, and other objects with minimal effort and without leaving any uncut grass around. We were also excited by its charging system- it charges super-fast and is ready to deploy within 30minutes. Finally, its handle is modeled in line with the handle in the Honda 21-inch side discharge gas self-propelled lawnmower and will fold for storage – saving on your precious garage space.
Factors To Consider When Buying Commercial Mower For Hills
Because they are not very common, finding the right and best mower for steep hills can be pretty tricky. But you can make the process less taxing if you know the features that matter. Here is what you should pay attention to:
- Ease of Starting – Some of the mowers – especially those with poor quality carburetors, are difficult to start. Luckily, most of the great mowers have power, easy-start engines.
- Adaptability – Some of these mowers are multi-purpose. Once you add the needed attachment, you can use it to also bag and mulch.
- Rear Wheel Vs. All-Wheel Vs. Front-Wheel Drive – The rear-wheel-drive delivers much better traction on hilly grounds than the rest. Trodden tires further boost traction. A low deck profile reduces your chances of tipping over. All these help your safety.
Size of Your Mower’s Deck
So, what size should you pick for your mower’s deck?
You need to check out many factors, chief among them the size of your yard.
Nevertheless, you need to know that narrower decks maneuver expertly around obstacles and are the most recommended when we come to slopes/uneven terrain.
Ride-On or Self-Propelled?
Ride-on mowers have a higher risk of injury and are recommended for only extreme situations.
Self-propelled mowers make exceptional mowers for any lawn and majestically conquer hills. They are indeed the top dogs for hills. Talking about dogs, is your yard infested with fleas? We have a detailed article on yard treatment for fleas.
Gas Powered or Battery?
Because of their power, some have suggested that gas lawn mowers are better than battery push mowers for steep hills, and it’s true they are more energetic than battery-driven push lawn mowers for hills.
But on the other hand, they need more maintenance, for example, oil change. Those fronting battery mowers as the better push lawn mowers for hills say they are Eco-friendly (fumes free) and are economical to run since you don’t have to buy gas.
The problem is that you’ve to keep recharging them. So, as you can see, each of these top-rated push lawn mowers for hills has genuine pros and cons.
Where to Buy Hillside Mowers?
Our search for a suitable walk behind the best mower for hills took us to amazon, and we have refused to leave. They remain our favorite vendors because of fair pricing.
But you can also buy from eBay and online from the Individual manufacturer’s websites.
And The Winner Is:
- Honda HRX217K5VYA 187cc Gas 21 in. 4-in-1 Versamow System Lawn Mower with Roto-Stop and MicroCut Blades 660410For us, two factors carry more weight even when talking about mowers for steep slopes
And these were our biggest influences.
We were looking for the type of mower for steep hills, which goes up and down the terrain in a ‘free’ mode without being pressed or forced.
Efficiency in Trimming
It doesn’t matter whether it’s the top-rated lightweight push lawn mower for hills or not the bottom line is that it must be able to cut and impress.
With its freewheeling intelligent drive technology and the razor-sharp twin cutting blades (Micro cut), the Honda 3-in-1 Variable Speed Self-Propelled Gas mower saves your time by driving quickly and cutting up rough grass with admirable efficiency and speed.
And even though it sometimes vibrates randomly, it’s the closest any of these safest mowers for steep hills have come to perfection.”
Mowing the steep hilly slopes is not difficult if you have the best tools for assistance. The best mower for a steep hill is what you need to maintain your hilly lawns in a well-groomed and immaculate condition. In conclusion, we have also seen that the self-propelled mowers trump over the ride on in most cases because of their added stability. Good luck with the job.
Our Curated Recommendations on Amazon:
- Amazon’s Top Rated Lawn Mowers for Hills
- Lawn Mowers for Hills under $100
- Newest Arrivals Lawn Mowers for Hills
Last update on 2023-04-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API