Best Walk Behind Mower For Hills
While hilly and winding lawns are a sight to behold, maintaining them comes at a cost.
This is because most of the ordinary lawn mowers are poor climbers and unsafe to use especially in extremely hilly landscapes (they commonly roll over) …. at least that’s how it has been until the best lawn mowers for hills came around.
Sure. Lawn mowers have been around since 1830 when Edwin Budding gave us his famous grass cutter.
But despite various attempts, mowing steep hills has been one big puzzle for many lawn owners -until recently
And the reason is simple:
By design, mowing equipment tends to want to roll downhill meaning the operator has to manage its force or be overpowered and wait for the worst.
Lawn Aeration: the Why, the When, and the How
Mowers For Steep Banks Comparison Table
Honda 3-in-1 Variable Speed Self-Propelled Gas Mower
Troy-Bilt 21-inch 3-in-1 Self-Propelled Lawnmower
Snapper 21”82V Cordless Self Propelled Lawn Mower
Honda 187cc Gas 21 in.
Husqvarna 24V Hydro Tractor Mower, 52″/Twin
All wheel drive (AWD)
What are lawn mowers for steep hills?
Unlike all other grass trimmers, lawn mowers for steep hills are purposely-built to tackle hilly and uneven train with safely and efficiently.
You will notice several enhancements:
- Better traction- hence their exemplary climbing skills.
- Reinforced downhill braking -operators can slow, stop, and even reverse on hills.
- Lower center of gravity-hence their distinguished stability on slopes
Benefits of using mowers for steep hills
So, how does a good mower for steep hills help your lawn's terrain?
Some of their distinct advantages are:
Most commercial mowers for hills have a low center of gravity. This significantly reduces their risk of tipping.
Many also have a 4-wheel-drive and wider tires for traction on all types of lawns.
Ease of Steering and Movement
Since their rear deck follows the front axle, they turn quickly and more sharply.
Reduced Exposure to Gas Fumes
With some of the lawn mowers for hills being battery driven, gas fumes don’t waft towards you so you'll enjoy clean, healthy air.
Multiple Methods to Handle Clippings
Most offer attachments including baggers, mulchers, and adjustable-height blades.
In addition, some have up to 9 blade height settings so they can cut any lawn vegetation.
Lawn Mower For Steep Hill Reviews 2020
From our experience and extensive research for the highest rated type of mower for steep hills, we feel that these are the top dogs as far as lawn mowers for cutting through the hills are concerned:
1. Honda 3-in-1 Variable Speed Self-Propelled Gas steep hill Mower
Free wheeling smart drive technology
Razor sharp twin cutting blades (Micro cut),
Easy starting GCV160 engine,
6-position cutting height adjustments
It uses less gas compared to competing lawn mowers for hills and slopes.
And the variable speed can really speed up your cutting…at full speed, this beast dashes across yards.
It starts with just one pull and the deck does an amazing job mowing across winding terrain.
And your comfort and safety matters to it- you can tell this from the foam grip handles, and the Zone Start Safety System which automatically shuts the engine if you lose control of your mower.
More to this, its EPA and CARB Compliant, meaning it has been approved by authorities as being Eco-friendly.
Finally, you will enjoy exercising as you walk behind it, and is very easy to control. It does the job while helping you better your health. What a bonus!
- Starts up pretty quickly
- It packs plenty of horsepower and does well in climbing
- The reduced gas usage, this is an economical option
- It is an environmentally friendly lawn mower
- It sometimes produces annoying vibrations
- 163cc Briggs & Stratton Engine
- 21-Inch TriAction cutting system
- Built-in premium deck wash
- 4 speed settings
- 3-in-1 (cut, mulch or bag)
- 1.9 bushel capacity bag included
- 8 x 8-inch wheels
- adjustable ergonomic handle
- It takes just a few minutes to have it up and running
- This is one of the fastest lawn mowers made for hills
- Switching to desired cutting height is very easy
- Its light weight hence it maneuvers easily uphill
- The height adjustment lever sometimes falls from its socket
- 21-inch steel mowing deck
- 3-in-1 design ( mulch, bag & side discharge)
- Load sensing technology
- Push button start
- 7-position height adjustment
- Large 1.6-bushel bagger
- This mower is quite powerful- it hard to differentiate it from gas powered mowers even on hills
- It’s very well-constructed and should certainly serve for many years
- It’s super quiet- unlike noisy gas lawn mowers
- It’s cheaper to run and of course, environmentally friendly
- The replacement batteries are pricey
- It’s quite easy to start
- The engine is one of the most fuel efficient
- It’s a 4-in-1 (mulch, discharge, bag, and cut
- Its speed controls are easier to manage
- It’s one of the pricey lawn mowers for hills
- Honda GCV 190cc engine(4 cycle)
- 3-in-1 steel mower deck (22-Inch)
- All-wheel 4x4 drive (rear hi-wheel)
- Ball bearing wheels
- 3 height adjustment
- Its all-wheel-drive enables it to maneuver well in slopes and hilly terrain
- It’s quite powerful and cuts neatly – even in deep grass
- Its bag offers a better grip and is also easier to remove
- It runs fairly quiet
- Adjusting the height can be a bit of a struggle
- Briggs & Stratton-190cc
- Rear-wheel drive
- Hi VAC deck
- vacuum with the unique blade
- 3-n-1 (bag ,side discharge, or mulch)
- This mower bags extremely well
- With its ability to pick up the tiniest pieces of grass, it leaves your grass looking immaculate
- With a durable engine, It should give service for an extended period of time
- Its gas tank is significantly big and should allow you to cut without refilling hassles
- Its assembly takes a bit of time
- 21-inch deck
- 160cc Honda GVC160
- 3-in-1 cutting system
- 12-inch rear wheels
- Adjustable handle
- This starts with one single pull and is very convenient
- It’s one of the easiest to assemble- it takes just a few minutes to get it up and running
- It really takes up very little space and is great for those with small garages/stores
- Its engine is considered safer and has been EPA approved in over 50 states
- The grip on rear wheels isn’t as strong as with the rest
- The bag sometimes comes out
- Brushless Motor
- Self-Propelling Rear Wheel Drive
- 40-Volt Lithium-Ion Battery
- This mows in straight lines even uphill
- It has an impressive battery life and runs for more minutes without needing a recharge
- It’s very user friendly- from the easily adjusting height, easy start, all the way to telescopic handles…they are all easy to operate
- It’s quieter than most gas propelled lawn mowers
- The charger doesn’t charge up as quickly as other cordless mowers
- Brushless motor
- Load sensing technology -smart cut(tm)
- 7 height adjustment levels
- Ergonomic grip handle
- Electric brake
- Super-fast 30-minute charge
- 84v 2.5ah lithium ion battery
- The mower runs much quieter compared to some of the premium gas mowers
- It cuts as much as a 1/3 of a lawn acre with a single charge
- It’s easier to start up and maintain now that it doesn’t use gas or oil
- It conveniently folds for storage and saves on your garage space
Ease of starting
Rear wheel Vs All-wheel Vs Front wheel drive
Size of your mower’s deck
Ride On or Self-propelled?
Gas powered or Battery?
For more on this machine watch the below video.
2. Troy-Bilt TB330 163cc 21-inch 3-in-1 Self-Propelled Lawnmower
It has the oomph to maneuver the toughest hills- thanks to the powerful 163cc Briggs & Stratton engine.
And it is really up there when we come to performance, thanks to its outstanding TriAction cutting system which consistently delivers a clean job.
Speed-wise, you have the 4 flexible top speed settings to help you personalize it for your comfort and ease of control.
It’s a 3-in-1 meaning you can mulch, bag, or use the side discharge to get the results you crave for in uneven grounds.
And with its impressive collection of friendly height and cutting controls, it could be the perfect answer to the question of “how to mow a steep hill with a riding mower?”
3. Snapper XD 21-Inch 82V Cordless Self Propelled Lawn Walk Mower
If you’re a fan of cordless tools, then it’s hard not to notice this..
Powered by 2 long-lasting batteries (brush-less motor technology) , the snapper XD cordless 21-inch self-propelling walk mower will mow with power and reliability for many years and since it uses brush-less motors, it will need very little maintenance.
Impressively, it will cut for up to 45-minutes without requiring a recharge… meaning it mows up to a ½ acre on one charge!
Its 21-inch deck adjusts up to 7 height positions until you get a comfortable position to mulch, bag or even side chute grass clippings easily
Even better, it smart load sensing technology enables it to automatically adjust the cutting speed and efficiency of the cutting blades as it goes through changing terrain
Plus, it features an easy push button so starting it is a breeze
In a nutshell, this is a formidable cordless self-propelled walk lawn mower
4. Honda 187cc Gas 21 in. 4-in-1 Versamow System Lawn Mower
Honda 187cc gas engine
4-in-1 versa-mow system (mulch, discharge, bag, and shred)
The convenient Clip control knob allows you to easily set it to your preferred function.
With 2 fine blades,this self-propelled mower cuts through thick grass like a hot knife through butter saving your time and energy.
Then, it has four cutting surfaces resulting in ultra-fine clippings
The 187cc engine and its rear-wheel drive make this mower an extremely good climber.
And the craziest bit: this mower uses very little fuel!!
The bag is so huge so will cut a large swathe without needing to empty the clippings..
Considering all these, you can understand why it has always been nominated as among the top rated self propelled mower for steep hills.
5. Husqvarna 22-Inch AWD 2-in-1 Variable Speed Lawn Mower with Kohler 675 Engine
They are also more balanced now that power is evenly distributed across all the 4 wheels.
This design makes mowing simpler even in extreme conditions,
Now, among all Husqvarna mowers, this 22-inch 2-in-1 has one of the most resilient all-wheel drive systems
No wonder it has been drawing raving reviews for its ability to expertly handle steep hills, tough grass, and rough terrain.
In addition to its robust all-wheel drive system, it has an enhanced steel deck and a powerful Kohler 675 Series149cc engine.
The deck is also notable because it cuts 22-inch wide meaning you finish the job pretty soon
Finally, its bag has a natural grip handle and is easy to remove.
6. Snapper HI-VAC 190cc Drive 3-N-1 Variable Speed (Rear Wheel ) Self-Propelled Lawn Mower
7 height-of-cut adjustments
Its high tech Hi-VAC mowing deck has a unique blade plus a rolled deck edge and is able to generate the volume of air needed to create the required suction
Thus, in addition to efficient bagging, your grass ends up with an ultra-clean finish.
It also features a well-constructed rear wheel drive and the user enjoys superior traction on thick grass and hills.
It’s powered by the 190cc Briggs & Stratton OHV engine – popular for its reliability and stability.
The other notable features include the ready start technology which guarantees easy starts and quiet runs.
You also have up to 7 height-of-cut adjustments for a comfortable operation.
7. Honda 21-inch Side Discharge Gas Self-Propelled Lawnmower - HRS216SKA
And this Honda 21-inch gas self-propelled lawnmower has an easy quick-release handle which folds easily making it fit for users with smaller storage spaces
In terms of performance,its premium Honda residential GCV160 engine starts easily (no choke required!) and is super powerful
Then, you will easily adjust this mower's speed (from 0 to 4 miles per hour) to match your stride by simply rotating the controls.
At the same time, you have a choice of 6 different deck height positions..and shifting is easy
And it’s not just easy to operate..it also goes strong on maneuverability…
It weighs only 71 lbs. and has trodden 8" wheels (with smooth rear ball bearings) giving it remarkable maneuverability
Finally, the mulch and side discharge work as expected.
8. Ryobi. 20" 40-Volt Lithium-Ion Battery Brushless Self-Propelled Cordless Lawn Mower
It also mows in straight lines so you end up with pristine grass ..
And just like the Snapper XD 21-Inch Cordless Self-Propelled Lawn Walk Mower, it also has load sensing technology so it ensures that the deck receives the power it needs to sustain cutting speed at optimum
Again, when on a full charge, its 5.0Ah 40-Volt Lithium battery will allow you to mow for longer without the inconveniences of having to recharge.
The 20-inch deck is designed to allow both mulching and bagging options depending on your requirements
Then, it’s so easy it can be operated by almost anyone…
It starts easily, its 7-point cutting height adjusts easily, and also has adjustable telescopic handles…
You can ,therefore, set the height that maximizes your comfort while reducing fatigue
9. Worth Garden Heavy-Duty Lawn Mower for Uneven Terrain
That’s how powerful this worthy garden heavy-duty lawn mower is…
It also boasts of the smart cut load sensing technology that automatically adjusts the height of the blade depending on the thickness and density of the grass
So, with these 2 top qualities, this muscular self-propelled lawn mower is able to cut majestically through heavy weeds and thick grass.
Most importantly, it cuts neatly over around tree stumps….
The design of its swivel wheels allow it easily navigate around trees, bushes, and other objects with minimal effort and without leaving any uncut grass around
We were also excited by its charging system- it charges super-fast and is ready to deploy within 30minutes.
Finally, its handle is modeled in line with the handle in the Honda 21-inch side discharge gas self-propelled lawnmower and will fold for storage – saving on your precious garage space
- It doesn’t mulch as well as it cuts
Factors To Consider When Buying commercial mower for hills
Because they are not very common, finding the right mower for steep hill can be quite tricky
But you can make the process less taxing if you know the features that matter. Here is what you should pay attention to:
Some of the mowers – especially those with poor quality carburetors- are difficult to start. Luckily, most of the outstanding mowers have power easy-start engines.
Some of these mowers are multi-purpose.
Once you add the needed attachment, you can use it to also bag and mulch.
Rear wheel drive delivers much better traction on hilly grounds compared to the rest. Traction is further boosted by trodden tires.
A low deck profile reduces your chances of tipping over
All these help your safety.
So, what size should you pick for your mowers deck?
There are many factors that you need to check out chief among them the size of your yard.
Nevertheless, you need to know that narrower decks maneuver expertly around obstacles and are the most recommended when we come to slopes/uneven terrain.
Ride-on mowers have a higher risk of injury and are recommended for only extreme situations.
Self-propelled mowers make exceptional mowers for any lawn and majestically conquer hills. They are indeed the top-dogs for hills. Talking about dogs, is your yard infested with fleas? We have a detailed article on yard treatment for fleas.
Because of their power, some have suggested that gas lawn mowers are better than battery push mower for steep hills and it’s true they are more energetic than battery driven push lawn mowers for hills
But on the other hand, they need more maintenance, for example oil change.
Those fronting battery mowers as the better push lawn mowers for hills say they are Eco-friendly (fumes free) and are economical to run since you don’t have to buy gas.
The problem is that you’ve to keep recharging them.
So, as you can see, each of these top rated push lawn mowers for hills has genuine pros and cons..
Our search for the right walk behind mower for hills took us to amazon and we have simply refused to leave. They remain our favorite vendors because of a fair pricing.
But you can also buy from from EBay and online from the Individual manufacturer’s websites.
And the Winner is…
And these were our biggest influences..
The first is maneuverability.
We were looking for the type of mower for steep hills- that which goes up and down the terrain in a ‘free’ mode..you know, without being pressed or forced.
Efficiency in trimming.
It doesn’t matter whether it’s the top rated lightweight push lawn mowers for hills or not…the bottom line is that it must be able to cut and impress.
Now, with its freewheeling smart drive technology and the razor sharp twin cutting blades (Micro cut), the Honda 3-in-1 Variable Speed Self-Propelled Gas mower, saves your time by driving quickly and cutting up rough grass with admirable efficiency and speed .
And even though it sometimes vibrates randomly, it’s the closest any of these safest mowers for steep hills have come to perfection.
how to clear snow from gravel driveway
The best mower for steep hill is what you need if you are to maintain your hilly lawns in a well-groomed and immaculate condition.
In conclusion, we have also seen that in most cases, the self-propelled mowers trumps over the ride on because of their added stability.